Project Port Stories is the working title of Idiot String’s next mainstage production: an interactive, site-specific performance that will take place throughout downtown Port Costa and at the historic Port Costa School in early summer 2019.
Port Stories will be devised collaboratively with the ensemble, directed by Rebecca Longworth, with dramaturgy by Soren Santos and production design by Joan Howard.
Though fictional, Port Stories takes inspiration from the history of Port Costa and nearby communities, and themes that resonate there, including:
- Migration and displacement
- Boom and bust
- Reckoning with acts of nature like wildfires and earthquakes
- The physical landscape of the Carquinez Strait and the hills surrounding town
- The glitter and pageantry brought by far-off visitors or eccentric visionaries
- Tiny worlds, parallel universes, and alternate realities
- The ways stories are kept, told, and passed down in families and communities
Like all of Idiot String’s productions, Port Stories will engage the audience with clear and friendly invitations to interact with the actors and action of the show.
We hope you’ll join us in Port Costa!
Check back here for more updates, or join our mailing list to be the first to hear announcements.